bind round robin

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 19 10:52:19 PDT 2006

Oliver Brandmueller wrote:

> DNS round robin is not about redundancy, the only thing you could have
> that way is a kind of load balancing (not the most sophisticated way,
> though). Whenever one of the servers fails, around half of the requests
> still goes there and then times out/gets conn refused or whatever the
> problem is. Prioritizing is not easily possible. Probably it helps if
> you add one of the IPs more often to the set, but I never tried that and
> did not read the docs on this topic, so before breaking your zone first
> read the specs, if this works!

Just replying to this bit first, in BIND it does not work to specify
the same IP address multiple times for the same hostname. The server
will collapse the duplicates into one unique entry when it reads the
zone. I am not aware of any other authoritative name server for which
this would work either.

FYI,

Doug