aac0 command timeouts

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Sep 18 11:10:06 PDT 2006

Today one of my admins noticed the following errors on a 6.0-REL-p4
system (Sun X4100) with an Adaptec 2230SLP RAID card:

aac0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80841700 TIMEOUT AFTER 36 SECONDS
aac0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80846160 TIMEOUT AFTER 36 SECONDS
aac0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80843370 TIMEOUT AFTER 36 SECONDS
aac0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80841700 TIMEOUT AFTER 56 SECONDS
aac0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80846160 TIMEOUT AFTER 56 SECONDS
aac0: COMMAND 0xffffffff80843370 TIMEOUT AFTER 56 SECONDS

They were all logged at the same timestamp in /var/log/messages.

The card is hooked up to a Dell 14-disk hot-swap array with U320
drives and backplane.

I poked around and found some references to this on the mailing lists
for FreeBSD 4.x and 5.1, with references to "should be fixed in 5.2",
but that seemed to be relating to the system locking up at boot.  I
don't have that problem.

Some messages also indicate that it could be a firmware issue and
updating firmware solved it for them.  This worries me since this
system was built new last January so should have recent firmware in
the drives.

Is this still a problem for other folks?

Also, what utilities can I use on FreeBSD 6 to probe  the drives for
firmware.  I know with the LSI controllers the LSI command line
utilities give you this info, but the Adaptec "aaccli" program
doesn't have a way to find this out.

Also what strategy do people use for updating the firmware on drives
hooked up to RAID cards?  The last time I tried this the updating
program (dos boot CD) was unable to see the physical drives past the
card.