ARRRRGH! Guys, who's breaking -STABLE's GMIRROR code?!

Gary Kline kline at sage.thought.org
Wed Sep 13 14:24:41 PDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:26:03PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 11:15:04AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm really sorry for the breakage. I'm trying to treat -STABLE very
> > > gently, unfortunately this time I made a mistake.
> > >
> > > The change was committed to HEAD at 9 August. The change fixed one bug,
> > > but introduced another, which I didn't expected. The change seemed to be
> > > trivial and I only tested that it fixes the bug I was tracking down, I
> > > haven't looked for regressions.
> > >

> > 	Well, after this lengthy discussion, I've switched to -RELEASE.
> > 	-STABLE just ain't...   We all realize that none of us would
> > 	put out a buggy release--not even -CURRENT.  But let me ask
> > 	the next obvious question.  How difficult would it be to
> > 	build a regression test, or suite of tests?  Obviously, this
> > 	could be done over months -> years.   	(In my last lifetime
> > 	as a hacker I was in the kernel test group [a BSD-4.4 based
> > 	release on new architecture]. )  It's a bit hard to believe
> > 	that with all the genius in this effort, that no regression
> > 	testing is done.
>
> I'm trying to implement regression tests to the code I add. You can find
> them in /usr/src/tools/regression/:
>
> 	geom_concat	2 files, 2 tests
> 	geom_eli	15 files, 5818 tests
> 	geom_gate	3 files, 6 tests
> 	geom_mirror	7 files, 27 tests
> 	geom_nop	2 files, 2 tests
> 	geom_raid3	12 files, 13 tests
> 	geom_shsec	2 files, 6 tests
> 	geom_stripe	2 files, 2 tests
> 	ipsec		1 file, 306 tests
> 	redzone9	1 file, 6 tests
> 	usr.bin/pkill	27 files, 49 tests
>
> As I said already, I mistakenly thought the change was trivial and the
> only thing I tested was if it fixes a bug I was tracking down back then.
>
> We dicuss from time to time that we should have service simlar to
> tinderbox, which will run regression tests regularly and report
> regressions to the mailing lists - the more we automate the smaller
> chance for a human mistake like mine. Unfortunately this is not yet
> done.

	You're right in saying that the more automation, the
	more stability.  Hats off for all this good work
	(from somebody who has been there before:)....  This is
	the kind of thing tht needs to be done (i) to catch bugs
	before they are committed, and (ii) to make BSD all the
	more trustworthy and bullet-proof.

	HAving run FBSD since 2.0.5 and only *one* "fatal trap" is
	pretty hard to beat.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix