6.2? (fwd)

Andras Gót andrej at antiszoc.hu
Wed Sep 13 03:02:43 PDT 2006

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> kama wrote:
>  > I just updated the sources on two of my machines and found:
>  >
>  > $ uname -sr
>  > FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE
>  >
>  > Is this a mistake or is it actually a prerelease?
>
> It's not a mistake.  RELENG_6 has been frozen on Sep. 10th
> in preparation of the upcoming 6.2-RELEASE, so it's now in
> "pre-release" state.
>
>  > Why isnt there any notice about it on the webpage
>  > or on this mailing list?
>
> It's on the webpage (under "Release Engineering"):
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releng/
>
> I don't think there's need to announce it on this mailing
> list.  The fact that RELENG_6 entered code-freeze is
> important for comitters and (some) developers, but not for
> normal users of the -stable branch.
>
> Best regards
>    Oliver

Sure but it's only a schedule. The main purpose of the public release
process would be that WE the users can see/check what are the problems
that needs testing or anything. And an other main purpose is to do
planning of the upgrade, if needed. I think I shouldn't have to remind
you on this. :)

Regards,
Andras