Bug-free software (Re: ARRRRGH! Guys, who's breaking -STABLE's GMIRROR code?!)

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Sun Sep 10 17:37:38 PDT 2006

On 2006-09-11 02:25, Stephen Clark wrote:
> Sorry to be dense but what does MFCing mean. I have googled for it but
> can find
> nothing that explains it.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Steve,

MFC means "merge from current" (read as: merge from CURRENT [HEAD]
cvs tree into the current -STABLE tree).

I'm seeing -CURRENT as a playground for new features, technologies
and support for latest hardware. If something has worked out there,
the changes are merged from the -CURRENT tree into the (non-release)
-STABLE tree.

-STABLE has a broader audience and mistakes will probably being
detected there. At a time before RELEASE date the -STABLE tree is
being frozen (no new features are allowed to be merged into -STABLE)
and after a testing phase (BETA / PRE-RELEASE) the code will be
released.

Greetings,

Volker