Broken loader in STABLE

Charles P. Schaum verbo.solo at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 8 19:48:26 PDT 2006

> CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math

I had used similar optimizations soon after going from 6.1-RELEASE to
6-STABLE and discovered it was a bad idea. Using -O -pipe has since
stood me in good stead. The system is by no means sluggish, even on a
cut-rate build-on-a-budget machine.

I experienced that tuning for FS bottlenecks has a far greater
performance impact. Splitting cache across different drives can have a
positive effect similar to putting /usr/src and /usr/obj on different
drives. After finding out where my needs were and partitioning
appropriately, I have few complaints even with minimal optimization.
That also holds for NetBSD on my dodgy old ACPI plus early AGP box that
causes FreeBSD to panic unless I yank the s3 Trio for a couple of older
cards and disable ACPI (1997 Microstar EISA/PCI/AGP K6 "transitional"
hardware). Even when I just slap on an extra 2 gig drive for cache
and /usr/obj, Net runs noticeably faster.

Charles