openldap/pam/nss issues on 6.1

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Fri Sep 8 14:31:27 PDT 2006

Dirk Kleinhesselink wrote:

>    this immediately gives me the result.  It is something with the
>    pam or nss that is insisting on doing the port 389 first.

Have you edited the right configuration files? There are
/usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap.conf, /usr/local/etc/ldap.conf and
/usr/local/etc/nss_ldap.conf. I had trouble with ldaps until I provided
the whole certificate chain on the client side.

> 3) My freebsd client sshd when configured for ldap does signal 11
>    crashes.  My freebsd server has no problem with sshd and ldap.
>    If I turn off ldap and use NIS on the client, it works great.

Same here, but resolved after reinstalling everything. My guess is that
I've done something wrong when updating openldap-client to newest
version, including problems with compat libraries.

> Any help with these ?  I can deal with the slow startup, that's
> relatively minor, but 2 and 3 are more problematic for me.

The slow startup is really annoying.