gmirror RAID-1: rebuilding freezes machine

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Wed Sep 6 16:34:40 PDT 2006

On 2006-09-07 00:17, Volker wrote:
> The only way out of this machine freeze is to startup into su-mode,
> deactivate/remove some gmirror providers and run in degraded mode
> all time.
>
> The machine also does freeze in su-mode as soon as I'm manually
> trying to re-sync the mirror. So I think I've made sure it's really
> a gmirror problem.
> I'll now go on and rebuild kernel (already done) + world with
> freshly csup'ed sources, reboot and test once more if gmirror
> freezes again (will take an hour).

talking to myself... I hate that ;)

ok, I've now finished rebuilding world + kernel, installed
everything and tried again.

In single user mode, the machine does not freeze anymore while
trying to rebuild the (any) container. But the rebuild process hangs
forever at 0% without any noticeable disk activity.

When going into multiuser mode with an auto re-syncing provider, the
machine is hanging just right after the the message 'rebuilding
provider gm0sN'. But I was able to cancel this by CTRL+C and was
back into su mode again. I'll run in degraded mode for the next few
hours but I'm now quite sure there's an issue with gmirror.

What kind of debugging features may I turn on with gmirror to get a
verbose output of what gmirror does?

Greetings,

Volker