LSI/amr driver controller cache problem?

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Sun Sep 3 07:45:57 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:15:37AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
[snip]

> It is very arguably a bug in the LSI firmware if it is actually dumping
> its cache when a PCI reset occurs, especially if a battery unit is
> present.  However, I seriously doubt that you will get anyone at LSI to
> listen to this problem.  Do you get any messages on the console at
> shutdown about the amr driver flushing the cache?  Also, check the cache
> setting on the drives itself.  Maybe the drives are loosing power or
> getting reset while data is in their cache.  It's bad practice to enable
> the write cache on a drive in an RAID array for just this very reason,
> but some vendors do it anyways in an attempt to cover up poor
> performance.

Is there some way to tell if write caching is turned on or not for
the drives in the array? In particular, I have an Areca controller
(ARC-1210) with 4 SATA drives attached that I would like to check for
this on.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox                       Possessions increase to fill the space
bob at immure.com                    available for their storage.