new em-driver still broken

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Oct 31 19:00:47 UTC 2006

вівторок 31 жовтень 2006 13:49, Jack Vogel написав:
> Scott's question still hasnt been answered, or if so I dont understand it.
> If everything was working why were you trying to turn on polling?

Because it was working poorly -- over 50% of the (combined) CPU time was spent
in the kernel ("sys") instead of on compressing the data ("user").

Polling seems to promise relief exactly for such situations, so I tried to
enable it.

> And if the machine is unreachable over the net, what is happening ON
> the machine at that point, does it emit any useful information?

Nothing -- the screen (console) is not updated. If I leave top(1) running,
I'll see INSANE amounts of CPU-time (1300% each, for example) getting
attributed to the compressing programs -- after that top stops refreshing.

Hitting a key (even Shift) on the console's keyboard wakes everything up for
some time, and traffic resumes -- only to stall again a minute or so later...

	-mi