glx stopped working after upgrading 6.1-R to 6-STABLE on Compaq nx8220 (radeon X600)

Holger Kipp hk at alogis.com
Sun Oct 29 16:36:05 UTC 2006

Hello,

I had installed a 6.1-R from CDs with x and everything,
and options dri and glx did work without any problems.

After upgrading to 6-STABLE some weeks ago, X does
not work with option glx any more.

More specific: startx with option glx will blank the
screen, not display the mouse pointer and just freeze
the system (I have to cycle power to get the laptop
back to work).

No problems if glx is deactivated and I only have
option dri active in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Laptop:   hp Compaq nx8220
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X600

Is this a known problem? I couldn't find anything
about this on the internet.

Help, please ;-)

Regards,
Holger Kipp