DeLorme USB Earthmate problem

Andrzej Cuber poczta at andrzejcuber.pl
Thu Oct 26 01:29:56 UTC 2006

Hello Everyone,

I have DeLorme Publishing DeLorme USB Earthmate, rev 1.00/0.04, it is a
gps receiver. I was googling for the entire day and I found out that I
have to include the following driver ucycom into the kernel and remake it.
This is the USB section of my GENERIC configuration file:
# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ucycom          # gps receiver, added by AC
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          ural            # Ralink Technology RT2500USB wireless NICs
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires miibus
device          aue             # ADMtek USB Ethernet
device          axe             # ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
device          cdce            # Generic USB over Ethernet
device          cue             # CATC USB Ethernet
device          kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
device          rue             # RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet

after installing and rebooting, there is no new device in /dev directory.
I can see that that this receiver is represented by /dev/ugen0 and there
are also /dev/ugen0.1 and /dev/ugen0.2.
According to man page for ucycom, it is a bridge between the usb and
serial type access.
I have read many pages and it should appear as /dev/ttyUSB0 in the
system. I tested it under knoppix and it was working perfectly.
Can somebody help me and tell me what do I do wrong?
Do I have to comment some drivers in the config file?
Do I have to use mknod manually to create the device under /dev?
Do I have to use some other driver like pl2302 ora FTD?
--

pozdrawiam / best regards
Andrzej Cuber