panic: kmem_map too small

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 25 17:36:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Stefan Bethke wrote:

> We're consistely getting this panic even under smallish loads.  I've
> experimented with various values for VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX (384, 512, 768 and
> 1024 MB), but the boxes are still panicking after even short periods (a few
> hours) just doing a buildworld, a few ports compiles, or even when logging
> out of the console(?).
>
> Would logging vm.zone every few minutes help detecting a kernel memory leak?
>
> I'm at a complete loss as to the actual cause of these.  The ACPI errors
> precede the panic below by only a few seconds, so I'd guess they're a
> symptom, not a cause.  We've tried with ACPI disabled in the BIOS, but we
> also got these panics, so we re-enabled it.
>
> The hardware is a Tyan GT20 (2865) with a single-core Opteron, two gigs of
> RAM and two or three SATA disks.
>
> Any ideas?

Try the commands "show uma" and "show malloc" in DDB to print the memory
allocations made by the uma(9) and malloc(9) kernel memory allocators.  This
output may be sufficient to suggest to us where a kernel memory leak, if any,
might be taking place.  Also, a stack trace ("trace") never hurts; if
something is sitting there allocating a lot of memory at high speed, it could
well be that the last call to the memory allocator is the one leaking.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge