panic: kmem_map too small

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Oct 25 17:31:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 07:17:26PM +0200, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> We're consistely getting this panic even under smallish loads.  I've
> experimented with various values for VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX (384, 512, 768
> and 1024 MB), but the boxes are still panicking after even short
> periods (a few hours) just doing a buildworld, a few ports compiles,
> or even when logging out of the console(?).
>
> Would logging vm.zone every few minutes help detecting a kernel
> memory leak?
>
> I'm at a complete loss as to the actual cause of these.  The ACPI
> errors precede the panic below by only a few seconds, so I'd guess
> they're a symptom, not a cause.  We've tried with ACPI disabled in
> the BIOS, but we also got these panics, so we re-enabled it.
>
> The hardware is a Tyan GT20 (2865) with a single-core Opteron, two
> gigs of RAM and two or three SATA disks.
>
> Any ideas?

Try tuning memory parameters via loader.conf:

$ cat /boot/loader.conf
# Increase maximum allocatable memory on a process to 768MB.
# We don't choose 2GB (our amount of RAM) since that would
# exhaust all memory, and result in a kernel panic.  Maximum
# stack size is still set to 128MB.  One can view these
# settings using limits(1).
#
kern.maxdsiz="805306368"
kern.dfldsiz="805306368"
kern.maxssiz="134217728"

Adjusting kern.maxfiles and kern.maxfilesperproc might also help.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |