Running large DB's on FreeBSD

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Oct 24 14:27:27 UTC 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 7:44 PM, Mike Jakubik wrote:

> I believe the front-end application is MySQL dependent, but what is
> so much better about PostgreSQL? I understand that it has some more
> advanced features, but if they are not used, then what is the
> advantage? (I really like the InnooDB storage in MySQL)

So after billions and billions of inserts/updates/deletes, how do you
reclaim all that lost space in innodb?  dump + reload is what I hear.

also, do you value your data?  ie, if you insert data which cannot be
stored should the DB silently alter it or should it throw back an
error for your application to decide what to do?  guess which DB does
which...

we can go on forever on this tangent.  i'd recommend finding the
"gotchas" pages for both mysql and postgres and decide which is the
lesser of evils for your app and go with it.

for me, mysql has never won the argument :-)