Running large DB's on FreeBSD

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue Oct 24 09:17:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-Oct-24 02:21:06 +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:
>>On Oct 23, 2006, at 4:44 PM, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>>>advanced features, but if they are not used, then what is the
>>>advantage? (I really like the InnooDB storage in MySQL)

One nice thing about MySQL is the plethora of backends - you can
pick the backend to suit the type of data and access methods.

>Example: writing 1 bit on 1 disk needs to read some info from all disks to
>recalculate the parity. So this doesn't scale very well.

Any sane RAID-5 implementation will regenerate the parity by
new_parity = old_parity XOR old_data XOR new_data
Though this still turns a single write into 2 reads and 2 writes.

Basically: Don't use RAID-5.

--
Peter Jeremy