Running large DB's on FreeBSD

Alban Hertroys dalroi at solfertje.student.utwente.nl
Tue Oct 24 07:19:15 UTC 2006

On Oct 24, 2006, at 1:09, Bill Moran wrote:

> Well, you should be using FreeBSD+PostgreSQL, but that's just my
> religion.

Is it religion when it just makes more sense? But I digress.

There are numerous reasons to prefer PostgreSQL over MySQL, a few of
which are:

- It scales well to multiple CPUs (almost linear, provided your
connections are under sufficient load). I've seen benchmarks like
this from a 16 CPU Altix (SGI).
- It can do complex queries, and it does them well (I've seen it
outperform MySQL regularly - especially where MySQL couldn't perform
the query directly).
- Data integrity is very important to the PostgreSQL community, so it
doesn't ignore errors or truncate your data or things like that
(MySQL does).
- It has a great community; the people on the mailing lists are very
knowledgeable and helpful. You'll usually have a solution for a
problem within a day.
- AFAIK, the key developers run FreeBSD.

One thing; there are a lot of PostgreSQL vs. MySQL comparisons, but
they usually fail to tune both databases properly or test with
workloads that have been optimized for MySQL.

For further questions you really should ask around at the postgresql
mailing lists.

Regards,
--
Alban Hertroys