Running large DB's on FreeBSD

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Mon Oct 23 23:47:38 UTC 2006

Ronald Klop wrote:
> I'm running MySQL 5 on Linux at my work (4 disk RAID 10/32G
> RAM/4xsingle-core). It has a DB of > 100 GB and much more than
> millions of rows and the preformance is very good with quite a lot of
> users via the webserver. But I do not have any comparisons with Oracle
> or other systems. Unforunately we don't run FreeBSD at work except for
> my workstation.

Well, i guess i can always fall back on Linux if there are any major
problems on FreeBSD.

> The size of the db is not the problem. The load is more important. Are
> there a lot of sequential queries or simultanious? Do you do a lot of
> locking/selects/updates/insert? Are there thousands of tables or just 1?
> I do recommend a 64 bit OS if your hardware supports it, because it
> makes allocating memory for MySQL a lot easier.

Thats the information i do not have yet. My guess is mostly selects and
possibly more than one table. I also believe they will make use of
stored procedures. I will have to use AMD64 anyways, as it will be using
16GB of ram.