FreeBSD 6.x + SATA NCQ?

O. Hartmann ohartman at uni-mainz.de
Mon Oct 23 12:13:47 UTC 2006

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Is there support for SATA tagged queueing in FreeBSD-6? Any ideas on
> which chipsets would support it or how to determine whether FreeBSD is
> using it?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Adrian

As I know, this is on one hand dependend on the used chipset and on the
other haned dependend on the ATA driver. Those chipsets with NCQ AND
AHCI (mostly Intel ICH based chipsets) should be managed and addressed
by a suitable driver (as far as I know not yet available for FreeBSD 6.X).
As someone can read at the nVidia homepage, their nForce4-SLI chipsets
also supports NCQ, but it is proprietary thing, not commonly accessible
via AHCI. And due to the lack of information, like most of nVidias
goodies for computers, there is no access to this feature via the open
source way.

If I'm wrong someone should correct my statement.

Regards,
Oliver