5 to 6

Dan Mack mack at macktronics.com
Mon Oct 23 02:17:09 UTC 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Randy Bush wrote:

> for the record, i followed the recipe in UPDATING and it worked.
>
> randy

Another for the record ...

I upgraded my production box from 5.3 to 6.2BETA2 without incident as
well.  I was surprised that all my services started properly on the first
boot (postfix; cyrus imap, apache22, postgres, mongrel(ruby on rails),
and various others..)

After the upgrade, rebuilding some of my ports improved the performance
of my ruby on rails apps by a lot.  I'm not sure if I am benefiting from
improved SMP code compared to 5.3 or if it was due to something unrelated
in the ports tree.

This was on an older SMP Pentium 3 system which doesn't have any devices
using the em driver and so far the system has been rock solid.

Dan