partioning failed

Freek Nossin freeknossin at planet.nl
Sun Oct 22 18:10:32 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've run into some problems while I was trying to install freebsd 6.1
(i386).
When I've finished partitioning and the installer wants to write the
partition data to disk, it fails to do so.
I used the typical settings, ie one slice on the disc, with a default
partitioning scheme (except that I merged the /tmp with /var).

The installer reports: unable to find device node for /dev/ad0s1b.

I tried to use another hard disk, which resulted in the same error.

On VTY1 I got the following messages:
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63
ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<ready, dsc, error> error=84<ICRC, aborted>
LBA=63

ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=0
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=0
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=0
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=0
ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<ready, dsc, error> error=84<ICRC,
aborted>LBA=0

ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=64
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=64
ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<ready, dsc, error> error=84<ICRC, aborted>
LBA=64

ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63
ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<ready, dsc, error> error=84<ICRC, aborted>
LBA=63

ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63
ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<ready, dsc, error> error=84<ICRC, aborted>
LBA=63

System information:
Athlon XP 1700+ / 786 MB
Asus A7V266 (bios v1.11)