BSD/Linux slices like Solaris' Solstice DiskSuite

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Oct 20 11:11:40 UTC 2006

Danny Braniss wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > To change the active slice to, say, the third one, use the
 > > command "fdisk -a 3 /dev/yourdisk".  That will request for
 > > confirmation interactively.  To do it non-interactively
 > > (e.g. in a script), use "echo a 3 | fdisk -f - /dev/...".
 >
 > I use 'bsdlabel -s[1234] /dev/mydisk' all the time when
 > changing between 'slices'

Uhm?  What version of FreeBSD are you using?  In RELENG_6
I only get the usage message when I try -s, and the manpage
doesn't mention it either.

Looking at the source, the getopt(3) string indeed contains
"s:", but the code never checks for it and falls through to
the default case (which spits out the usage message and
exits).  Looks like a bug.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie.