BSD/Linux slices like Solaris' Solstice DiskSuite

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Oct 20 08:11:05 UTC 2006

r00t_0101 <r00t_0101 at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > Does anyone know how to create a true slice on a BSD/Linux node.
 > I know that Solaris uses Solstice DiskSuite or some type of volume
 > management where you are able to reboot to a particular partition
 > through command-line instead of manual reboot. So whith that said, my
 > goal is to create multiple slices (FreeBSD, Linux 6.x, Linux 7.x, etc
 > ...) where I could ssh into a node to be able to reboot into another
 > partition based on my work environment. This would be useful due to
 > working remotely with different environments.

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly.  Use the
fdisk(8) utility to create slices on FreeBSD (you can also
use sysinstall(8) if you prefer a gaily colored interface).

To change the active slice to, say, the third one, use the
command "fdisk -a 3 /dev/yourdisk".  That will request for
confirmation interactively.  To do it non-interactively
(e.g. in a script), use "echo a 3 | fdisk -f - /dev/...".

Best regards
   Oliver

"A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier
to program in than some that do."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie