ural on 6.2 prerelease disappeared

filip lenaerts fifilip at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 07:53:57 UTC 2006

hi all,

after upgrading from

FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #1: Sun Jun  4 15:46:56 CEST 2006
    root at monster.brederode:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

# uname -a
FreeBSD monster.brederode 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #2: Mon Oct 16 23:15:25 CEST 2006     root at monster.brederode:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

using the usual steps for "To rebuild everything and install it on the current system" described in /usr/src/UPDATING

i can't see my wireless ural device anymore in the dmesg, nor does it show up at ifconfig.  since i'm using GENERIC, all needed devices for ural are available:

# egrep "ehci|uhci|ohci|usb|ural|wlan" /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
device          wlan            # 802.11 support
device          wlan_wep        # 802.11 WEP support
device          wlan_ccmp       # 802.11 CCMP support
device          wlan_tkip       # 802.11 TKIP support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ural            # Ralink Technology RT2500USB wireless NICs

The last track of the device i have is in my messages file, when i was using the device:

Jul 22 22:49:39 monster kernel: ural0: Ralink 802.11g WLAN, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 3

so this means the ural device was recognised in the 6.1-STABLE from june 4th.  after this date i didn't use the device any more, so it was only until now after the upgrade, that i notice it isn't there anymore.

so i am wondering whether the 6.2-prerelease has something to do with it or did the hardware just died on me or did it get disabled in some way?

has anyone an idea what is going on?

tnx

filip