6.2-PRE /boot/loader

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Oct 18 20:39:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:20:37PM +0300, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:
>   No, it isn't. It's new and shiny (yet harmless) bug, which made it's way
> into the RELENG_6 with the following commit:
>
> ume         2006-10-16 15:09:24 UTC
>
>   FreeBSD src repository
>
>   Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_6)
>     etc/rc.d             auto_linklocal
>     sys/netinet6         in6_ifattach.c
>   Log:
>   MFC: Revert the default value of net.inet6.ip6.auto_linklocal to 1.
>   If ipv6_enable is not set to "YES", net.inet6.ip6.auto_linklocal
>   is turned to 0 at boot.
>
> and this is the result of the /etc/rc.d/auto_linklocal execution on
> IPv6-less kernel.

The rc.d/auto_linklocal script does this:

auto_linklocal_start()
{
	if ! checkyesno ipv6_enable; then
		${SYSCTL_W} net.inet6.ip6.auto_linklocal=0
	fi
}

The condition for this code getting called is weird.  It would
require ipv6_enable="no" (which is default)... yet it goes and
tinkers with ipv6 sysctls anyways.  I assume that the idea behind
ipv6_enable is that it's ONLY set to "yes" by administrators who
want to do IPv6-related things.  (My point: It's bad to try and
set IPv6 sysctl when an administrator doesn't have ipv6_enable="yes")

This feature probably needs its own rc.conf option.  Maybe this
is what the author had intended?

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |