FreeBSD 4.x EoL (FreeBSD Security Officer)

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Tue Oct 17 23:26:31 UTC 2006

>From the list digest:

>   23. FreeBSD 4.x EoL (FreeBSD Security Officer)

A few things immediately jumped out at me, and so I've elided
everything around them so that they stand out; which I believe to be
proper:

> From: FreeBSD Security Officer <cperciva at freebsd.org>
> Subject: FreeBSD 4.x EoL

<snip>

> Three and a half years ago, the Security Officer decided to increase
> the length of time

<snip>

> A year later, support was once again extended.

from the same paragraph:

> in addition, some releases were designated as "extended support"
> releases...

<snip>

All I *can* see is a minority (the project members) of people reaching
well beyond what can be reasonably expected on behalf of, and for the
benefit of, other people.

Thinking of this project as a sort of organism, or perhaps some sort
of meme, I find that I can only conclude that it has been more than
generous.

To say more would probably invite flames or invoke sentimentality, so
I'll stick with "Thank you."

--
Careful there, Honored One; or I'm gonna call some heavy-hitting
Boddhisatvas to go Ahimsa on your immortal soul.