nfsd stuck in ufs/biord/biowr/getblk

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Oct 17 18:27:33 UTC 2006

On Oct 17, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Rong-en Fan wrote:

> On 10/18/06, Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 16, 2006, at 5:03 PM, Rong-en Fan wrote:
>>
>> > Yesterday, I saw my all my nfsd stuck in ufs/biord/biowr/getblk.
>> > I saw the same thing some time ago. I break into ddb and do a
>> > 'alltrace':
>>
>> do you have an em or bge ethernet?
>>

> Yes. I do have an em0. My em0 does not share irq with other
> device. I got watchdog timeout message every few days, but
> I didn't get any in the deadlock above since boot.

I have a box on which I had to replace the onboard bge with a 3com
card since there was some interference between the bge and file
system drivers causing total lockups during network use combined with
heavy disk use.  It was 100% reproducible by doing a level 0 dump on
the nfs exported volume.  My symptom was that the FFS would lockup
that volume.  If I got lucky, it would lock up the whole system and
the only way out was via console debugger.