FBSD 6.2-PRE: todays cvsupdate break kernel build

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Oct 17 17:03:03 UTC 2006

> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:46:05 +0200
> From: "O. Hartmann" <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Sam Leffler wrote:
> > O. Hartmann wrote:
> >> Today's cvsupdate seems to break kernel build at this pint on FreeBSD
> >> 6.2-PRE/AMD64:
> >>
> >> awk -f /usr/src/sys/modules/ata/atapicam/../../../conf/kmod_syms.awk
> >> atapicam.ko  export_syms | xargs -J% objcopy % atapicam.ko
> >> objcopy --strip-debug atapicam.ko
> >> ===> ath (all)
> >> make: don't know how to make
> >> /usr/src/sys/modules/ath/../../contrib/dev/ath/freebsd/ah_osdep.h. Stop
> >> *** Error code 2
> >>
> >> Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
> >> *** Error code 1
> >
> > Make sure you rebuild your dependencies; ah_osdep.[ch] moved from
> > contrib/dev/ath to dev/ath.
> >
> > 	Sam
>
> I see, seems to be my fault. I only use "make world/make kernel" and
> 'hoped' those makefile do the rest for me - without having prooved it
> for myself. Sorry for bothering ...
> This evening I'll check that and I'm sure, as you can see in the error
> message, there is still the old location 'active' ...

Use of "make world" is very, very dangerous unless you know exactly what
you are doing and the exact state of your sources. There are many,
myself included who would like to see the target removed.

In any case, stick to the procedure un /usr/src/UPDATING if you really
want things to build correctly.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)