kernel profiling?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 16 02:53:41 UTC 2006

Hiya,

Whats the "right" way to grab kernel profiling data these days?

I've tried using the kernel profiling w/ kgmon and gprof but the top CPU
wasters are the profiling functions themselves, quickly followed by
write_eflags(). I'm not sure this is valid at all.

I'm running 6-stable on an Athlon 1800XP, so its uniprocessor and
(relatively) slow. I'm hitting the server rather hard with a few thousand
TCP connections a second; I'm trying to figure out where my ~60% of kernel
time and ~35% of interrupt time is going.

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian Chadd - adrian at freebsd.org