[fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Sat Oct 14 20:35:36 PDT 2006

RW> Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:17:20 +0100 (BST)
RW> From: Robert Watson <rwatson at ...>

RW> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Edward B. DREGER wrote:
RW>
RW> > Perhaps work on 7 should have been delayed until 5 and 6 were able to woo
RW> > people away from 4 -- or at least not leave valid reasons for people
RW> > wanting to stay behind.

RW> Right now this MFC pipeline is working quite well, but it's worth keeping in

In which case there should be no complaints about *maintaining* four
different trees. :-)  Small, incremental patches and security fixes are
not the large source refactorings/rototills that are a pain to MFC.

RW> > Rather than spend undue effort on 4 and 5, improving 6 and 7 is

i.e., I have the same thoughts re the MFC pipeline.  Adding major
features to 4.x would be a slippery slope, as you described.  Once
everyone's pet feature was added... voici!  7-STABLE!

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.