carp0 interface goes down on 6.2-PRERELEASE

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Fri Oct 13 12:10:27 UTC 2006

Ari Suutari wrote:
>>     I have now tested with real hardware (ethernet is fxp0) and
>>     under VmWare (ethernet is lnc0). Same problem on both.
>
>     I'll have to correct this. Carp works with fxp0. Problem is
>     only under vmware, which makes me more and more suspect
>     that it is because lnc0 does not support link state reporting
>     (it seems to be present on only a few drivers).

I do remember seeing this problem when developing some systems in vmware
that the carp interfaces where always in INIT when the system booted. I
added a small rc script to for the interfaces up using 'ifconfig carp0
up'  which seemed to make the interfaces come up however if on system is
unplugged from the network it will automatically put itself into the
master state until it can talk to the other servers in the carp group.

Tom J