VIA IDE controller not detected on RELENG_6

Dominic Bishop dom at bishnet.net
Thu Oct 12 23:01:47 UTC 2006

I am running a RELENG_6 from yesterday on amd64 and the VIA PATA
controller is being detected as GENERIC ATA, from dmesg:

atapci0: <GENERIC ATA controller> port
0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xfc00-0xfc0f at device 15.0 on pci0

uname -a:
FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0: Wed Oct 11 22:10:03 UTC
2006 :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PPV1  amd64

The kernel config is simply a generic kernel with SMP, device polling and
geli/crypto added to it.

The device in question from pciconf -lv:

atapci0 at pci0:15:0:      class=0x01018a card=0x81b51043 chip=0x05711106
rev=0x07 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'VT82xxxx EIDE Controller (All VIA Chipsets)'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = ATA

Unfortunately I cannot say what motherboard is in the machine as it is a
leased dedicated server.

On another machine which has a different motherboard (has SATA on it too)
the PATA controller shows the exact same identifiers for
class/card/chip/rev/hdr and that one detects it as a VIA controller fine.

Whilst the system works fine using GENERIC ATA it is limiting me to UDMA33
on the drives which is less than ideal.

If any additional information is required please let me know.