[fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Oct 12 11:48:51 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:59:10AM -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2006, at 6:36 PM, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> >I think the most likely path of success is, as you say, to make the
> >4.x
> >userland more like 6.x.
>
> For anyone who really wishes to stick to freebsd 4.x for performance,
> we should refer them to dragonflybsd, which seems to be taking this
> approach.  it was forked from freebsd 4.8 and seems to pretty modern
> in userland.

Well, this is pretty unsubstantiated...it doesn't automatically follow
that because they forked from FreeBSD 4 they will retain all the
characteristics of FreeBSD 4.

After all, they're mostly focusing on reimplementing the changes made
in FreeBSD 6 along different (and sometimes the same) lines.  Perhaps
they'll end up with something better, but that remains to be seen.

Kris