Performance 4.x vs. 6.x (was: e: [fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon)

N.J. Mann njm at njm.f2s.com
Thu Oct 12 08:55:29 PDT 2006

On Thu 12 Oct 07:19, Danial Thom wrote:

[...]
> Maybe its just time for the entire FreeBSD team
> to come out of its world of delusion and come to
> terms with what every real-life user of FreeBSD
> knows: In how ever many years of development,
> there is still no good reason to use anything
> other than FreeBSD 4.x except that 4.x doesn't
> support a lot of newer harder.

I am a _real-life_ user of FreeBSD and I am *very* happy with FreeBSD
6.2-PRERELEASE and before that 6.1-STABLE.  This particular machine is
quite old - it's a 350MHz K6 - and I from a subjective point of view,
FreeBSD 6.1 has been the fastest OS which has run on it.

YMMV of course.

Cheers,
       Nick.
--
"We're predicting third stage shutdown at 11 minutes 42 seconds."