Kernel panic on boot (how to debug?)

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sun Oct 8 16:33:08 UTC 2006

Am 21.09.2006 um 23:01 schrieb Benjamin Lutz:

> By sheer luck I figured out how to get into DDB though :), so I can
> now
> provide a backtrace.
>
>   Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
>   --- trap 0x12, rip = 0xffffffff801c02d5, rsp =
> 0xffffffff80864a80, rbp =
>     0xffffffff80864ad0 ---
>   ata_raid_promise_read_meta() at ata_raid_promise_read_meta+0x95
>   ata_raid_read_metadata() at ata_raid_read_metadata+0x2f4

Reading through ata_raid_promise_read_meta(), it's not clear to me
how that trap would get triggered, but you might want to boot verbose
to see how far into ata_raid_promise_read_meta() it gets.  It seems
to me that there is something on your disk that almost looks like a
RAID metadata sector, and the driver getting confused by it.

Also, try not compiling ataraid into the kernel to see if that avoids
the trap.

HTH,
Stefan

--