scp -c none (was Re: NFS client slow on amd64 6.2-PRERELEASE #2)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sun Oct 8 14:54:51 UTC 2006

Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
 > [...]
 > It's really too bad the OpenBSD guys refuse to
 > incorporate the HP (high-performance) patches into OpenSSH, and
 > being able to say "-c none" would *really* help when it comes to
 > benchmarking network I/O via scp

Here's a patch for FreeBSD:

http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/FreeBSD/openssh-cipher-none.patch

Go to /usr/src/crypto/openssh, then apply the patch and
rebuild libssh, ssh and sshd.  Then you can use "-c none".

I use "scp -c none" a lot within my internal network to
transfer files between slow boxes.  Encryption isn't really
required there, but I can still use all of ssh'd features
such as .ssh/authorized_keys, aliases via .ssh/config etc.

I considered submitting the patch for official inclusion,
but the OpenSSH people would reject it because they call
it "insecure", and the FreeBSD people would reject it
because they say the patch should be submitted to the
OpenSSH people.  *sigh*  :-(

Best regards
   Oliver

"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker"
        -- Daniel C. Sobral