em, bge, network problems survey.

Cheffo stefan.lambrev at sun-fish.com
Sun Oct 8 11:59:15 UTC 2006

O. Hartmann wrote:
> Andrew Reilly wrote:

>>> It's probably a nve driver bug then, you should talk to the driver
>>> author.  This may not be fixable in FreeBSD since it's a binary
>>> driver, so bug fixes mostly need to be done by the vendor.
>>>

>> The OP may want to try the nfe driver, which I've been using very
>> happily on my amd64/nforce4 system for several months.
>>

> I did for a while (most recent driver I could get from the mentioned
> japanese location) but the box got stuck after a while of network I/O.
> On the other hand, at this moment I play around with FreeBSD 6.2-PRE and
> do nearly every second day a build world, so it bothers me a bit doing
> the recommended patches.
> But your're wight. nfe() triggers a lot less interrupts than this binary
> Linux crap nve - for the time it runs. I would appreciate a soon
> occurence of the nfe driver in the STABLE or even in the 6.2-RELEASE code.

You can get the latest NFE driver from cvs
cvs -d freebsdanoncvs at anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co
src/sys/modules/nfe src/sys/dev/nfe
Also you have to change by hand src/sys/modules/Makefile

cvs -d freebsdanoncvs at anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co
src/sys/modules/Makefile
to see the diff, then recompile kernel :) (only lines with "nfe" are
interesting)

While talking about NFE driver, is it planned freebsd-6.2 to ship with it ?