Recommendations for a serial port card you can actually BUY?

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Sat Oct 7 23:48:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 10:45:38AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> writes:
>
> > I think there may be another option.
> >
> > Here's the boot message, with just USB related things:
> >
> > usb0: <Intel 82801EB (ICH5) USB controller USB-A> on uhci0
> > usb0: USB revision 1.0
> > usb1: <Intel 82801EB (ICH5) USB controller USB-B> on uhci1
> > usb1: USB revision 1.0
> > usb2: <Intel 82801EB (ICH5) USB controller USB-C> on uhci2
> > usb2: USB revision 1.0
> > usb3: <Intel 82801EB (ICH5) USB controller USB-D> on uhci3
> > usb3: USB revision 1.0
> > usb4: EHCI version 1.0
> > usb4: companion controllers, 2 ports each: usb0 usb1 usb2 usb3
> > usb4: <Intel 82801EB/R (ICH5) USB 2.0 controller> on ehci0
> > usb4: USB revision 2.0
> >
> > Now, isn't this in fact invarient?  That is, isn't the probe on the bus
> > going to be the same across boots?
>
> This is effectively inheriting PCI order, so unless you're changing PCI
> configuration, these are in fact stable.
>
> > We can then get which device is on which port with....
> >
> > Fs:/disk/karl> usbdevs  -v
>
> ...until the moment one is un- and re-plugged, right? At least my two
> USB printers (easily told apart from the vendor ID) like to rearrange
> their ordering frequently on Linux...

Uh, if you unplug a working serial device's USB cable, you've got bigger
problems :)

If you plug and unplug ONLY ONE, it should ID in the same place, since
there's a "hole".  If you plug / unplug more than one, I can live with the
penalty being a required reboot.  After all, these are NOT supposed to be
tampered with while the machine is running!

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com	Musings Of A Sentient Mind