Capture all incoming/outgoing email messages

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Fri Oct 6 22:13:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006, Dominik Zalewski wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a gateway/firewall running FreeBSD 6.1 -release . I would like to
>capture all incoming and outgoing email messages to archive them. Is there
>is any tool available out there ? I mean a proxy,sniffer or any other
>solution.

If the gateway/firewall handles all mail and is running postfix,
adding ``always_bcc = address'' to the main.cf file will cause
all mail going through postfix to have a blind carbon copy sent
to that address.

I don't know if one can do something as we do on Linux boxes
where the gateway/firewall/NAT box traps all outgoing port 80,
rerouting it through squid which allows caching and access
controls for the entire network.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

``We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
free enterprise,'' said Cash McCall, "but when one of our citizens
show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself."
		-- Cameron Hawley