BCM5754 supported in 6.2 release?

Yi-Hua Edward Yang yeyang at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 5 22:00:01 UTC 2006

Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Yi-Hua Edward Yang wrote:
>> I asked the question below a while back but got no answer.
>> Does that mean BCM5754 integrated GbE will not be supported
>> by 6.2 release at all? The HARDWARE.TXT file does not list
>> it, but the source code seems to have the BCM5754 support,
>> or at least so the CVS comments say.
>>
>> Does anyone know when if_bge will support BCM5754 GbE? We
>> really hope to run FreeBSD on our Dell Precision desktops.
>
> If the source code mentions support, then it most likely will be
> supported but has not made it to the docs yet. To be sure, download
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/6.2/6.2-BETA2-i386-bootonly.iso
> , boot it up and see for yourself.

Hi, thanks for your reply and suggestion.

I downloaded FreeBSD 6.2 Beta2 and tried to boot it on Dell
Precision 390. It failed with the same sympton as before
(upgrade 6.1 release by cvsup and buildkernel/buildworld).

The BCM5754 device is recognized (wrongly) as BCM5787, folloed
by a kernel trap 19.

This problem effectively makes FreeBSD 6.2 Beta2 unusable on
any new Dell Precision machines. Please help, anyone? Thanks
in advance!

Edward