ffs snapshot lockup

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Thu Oct 5 14:01:09 UTC 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 4:30 AM, Kostik Belousov wrote:

>> The network load was minimal at the time.  I had everyone log out and
>> close mail etc.
>>

> What were the symptoms of locked system ? Could you log in on
> console, or
> do something at the shell prompt on console ?

Console was non-responsive.  This time dump locked doing /usr so
pretty much anything you try to run will block.  When the lockup
happens when dump is running on my home dir (/u/yertle1) partition,
as long as you don't need that partition you can log in and run any
programs you like.  I have a service account whose home dir is in /
var and was able to login that time to that account.  No such luck
this time since any activity pretty much uses /usr.

Ping was responding (our monitoring didn't complain it was down).

The only thing I could do was break to debugger on the console.