ffs snapshot lockup

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed Oct 4 19:53:57 UTC 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> from what i read in the output from kgdb, it seems that something
>> locked the kernel and we broke to debugger from the watchdog timeout
>> (I enable software watchdog).
>
> Hmm, be careful with that - if you set the timeout too low (and note
> that for some workloads O(minutes) may even be too low) then you'll
> get a lot of false positives.

hmmm... the man page for watchdogd doesn't specify what the default
timeout is, but that's what we've got running.   [tappity-tapptity-
tap...] source seems to indicate 16seconds timeout.  interesting.

so we could be getting hit with a bge interrupt storm and timing
out.  i'll turn off fido and see what happens.

at this point, though, i think i have two separate issues.  one with
bge and watchdog timeout, and one with locking of the filesystem with
mksnap_ffs, as the symptoms are different.