altq on tun0: queueing works, prioritization not?

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 11:17:31 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I tried to set up TCP ACK prioritization with pf/altq as has been
described on various places of the internet.

It doesn't work as expected. I have a 16Mb/1Mb DSL link, the modem is
connected to a dc(4) device, I'm working with the tun0 device for my
firewall rules. Here they are:

ext_if="tun0"
scrub in all
altq on tun0 priq bandwidth 400Kb queue { std, http, ssh, dns, tcp_ack }

queue std     priority 1 priq(default)
queue tcp_ack priority 6

pass out on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any queue(std, tcp_ack)

Please note that I tried various bandwidth settings, for testing
purposes I set it to a very very low 400kb.

When downloading from ftp.de.freebsd.org, I'm able to achieve roughly
950kB/s. If I then start an FTP upload (which will reach some 42kB/s, so
the 400kb bandwidth is in effect), the interface throughput drops down
to a mere 120kB/s.

The 400kb limit should also be low enough, as I'm able to upload to that
same ftp with up to 100kB/s if I turn off queueing.

This is definitely not what I would expect. Where is my error?

Ulrich Spoerlein