Problems unmounting/fssyncking extern UFS filesystem

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Nov 30 06:26:28 PST 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 01:42:35PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Erik Trulsson wrote:
>  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
>  > > > Please understand that this is an honest question but isn't that true
>  > > > only of IDE heritage drives. E.g. If a SCSI drive with Tagged Queuing
>  > > > says that the the bits have been written doesn't it mean that the bits
>  > > > have really been written?
>  > >
>  > > Right, unless the SCSI drive has a label saying "Quantum".
>  >
>  > In other words: Yes, assuming the SCSI drive works as it should.  Not
>  > all SCSI drives work as they should.
>
> Right.  However, exactly the same is also true for IDE/ATA
> disks: assuming that they work as they should ...
> But it seems that for (server-grade) SCSI drives the chances
> are better than for (consumer-grade) IDE/ATA drives.

Yes, my impression is that most SCSI drives do 'the right thing', while
most ATA drives don't.

>  > > PS:  Quantum is today owned by maxtor, isn't it?  I've lost
>  > > track of HD manufacturers when Seagate bought Conner ...
>  >
>  > Quantum and Maxtor merged and became Maxtor.  Maxtor was recently
>  > bought by Seagate, so it is Seagate that owns Quantum these days.
>
> Uh, so now Seagate practically owns Quantum, Maxtor _and_
> Conner?  They got pretty fat then, it seems.

Yes. I think Seagate had managed to become the world's largest harddisk
manufacturer even before they bought Maxtor, and that acquistion made them
even larger so they have indeed got 'pretty fat'.

There are only a few HDD manufacturers left these days.
As far as I can tell the following is a *complete* list of companies
that are manufacturing harddisks today:
	Seagate
	Hitachi
	Western Digital