vr speed issues

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Nov 28 23:50:00 PST 2006

Hi all,

I spent some time trying to track down slow tcp performance on a small
office switched 100 LAN.  We just put in a number of whitebox PCs running
FreeBSD 6.1-p2/PC-BSD 1.2 that all have onboard Via Rhine 10/100 ethernet
controllers.  Performace with scp was around 200KB/s, ftp wavered between
300-500KB/s.  This did not appear to be a duplex mismatch - unmanaged
switch showed them all at 100/Full, put some other hosts on the same
ports/cabling and got near wire speed.  I took the cabling out of the
equation, the switch, no improvement.  The only thing that got me decent
performance was putting two hosts back to back with an xover cable.

I eventually realized that the only hosts with any speed issues in the
office were these boxes with the Via ethernet.  Putting an equally cheap
DLink (RealTek/rl) in one of them gave me much better performance.

At another site, I was dealing with a new intranet server running FreeBSD
6.2-PRE (11/16) on a decent Asus board.  This also has an onboard Via
Rhine ethernet controller.  While pulling some files over from the box it
was replacing, I noticed that I was getting only a few hundred KB/s on
this box.  Before putting it into production, I grabbed a cheap Intel
10/100 card and put that in.  Problem solved.

So it seems to me like perhaps there's an issue with the vr driver.  I
noticed it does have some quirks mentioned in the manpage, and I don't see
too many changes to the driver in the last year or so.

Is there any information I can supply to help debug this?  I've got a
bunch of these machines around.  I can get a tcpdump from both ends during
an ftp transfer, and the boxes are mine to toy with after hours.

I've posted a dmesg from both boxes (PC-BSD and 6.2-PRE):

http://www.bway.net/~spork/6.1p2-dmesg.txt
http://www.bway.net/~spork/6.2-dmesg.txt

Thanks,

Charles