Large msdosfs disk will not mount on RELENG_6

secmgr security at jim-liesl.org
Sun Nov 26 22:45:58 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 22:09, Clayton Milos wrote:

> As far as I am aware windows 2000 and xp will only allow you to format up to
> a 32G dive with FAT32. Any bigger and it will force you to use NTFS. The
> other strange thing is tht you are trying to mount /dev/da0 and not
> /dev/de0s1.

The 32 gb restriction was artificial.  You can look it up in the M$
"knowledge" base.  Watch out for the hand waving.  FreeBSD and Linux
(and probably other cluefull OS's)can handle a 500gb FAT32 drive
(assuming intelligent format values) w/o problem.

The real issue with large FAT32 volumes is wasted space.  You have to
crank up the cluster size so small files eat way more on disk space than
they should.  Large directories don't perform all that well either.

My problem with using them for container type backups is that my user
partition is way bigger than 2gb, so a level 0 dump wouldn't fit.

jim