SunFire X4100 MPT Issues 6.2 RC1

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 25 20:06:28 PST 2006

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 09:49:13PM -0600, Dave wrote:
> The unit boots find from the network.  I guess I get to see if I
> can downgrade the firmware but I am not having much luck finding
> previous images.

Have you tried talking to Sun about this?  The problem really does
sound like it's with the BIOS not supporting the ability to boot
off of an external controller.  This would be something Sun would
have to address, would it not?

Also, for what it's worth, I have a couple Intel boards which
also exhibit the same issue (re: can't boot off of an external
controller).  The solution I went with was to use the onboard
SATA controller instead of my Promise controller.  :-)

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |