UFS Bug: FreeBSD 6.1/6.2/7.0: MOKB-08-11-2006, CVE-2006-5824, MOKB-03-11-2006, CVE-2006-5679

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Nov 23 23:22:47 PST 2006

David Malone wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 10:30:35AM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> Is for these UFS bugs in FreeBSD since 6.1 a fix uderway?
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://projects.info-pull.com/mokb/
>>
>> MOKB-08-11-2006,CVE-2006-5824, MOKB-03-11-2006,CVE-2006-5679
>
> These two bugs both seem to involve mounting deliberately corrupted
> UFS file systems. I'm not sure that many people allow this. To be
> honest, I'm surprised that they only list two bugs of this sort -
> UFS wasn't designed to be robust to working with accidently corrupted
> filesystems, let alone ones corrupted maliciously!
>
> The usual response of UFS to a corrupted filesystem is to panic.
> I'm guessing it would have been easier to do:
>
> 	grep panic /usr/src/sys/ufs/*/*.c
>
> to find a load of these bugs, rather than writing a fuzzing tool ;-)
>
> (That's not to say that it isn't worth improving things, it's just
> likely to be a large amount of work to fix this in a way that
> actually makes things better.)
>
> 	David.

These two bugs are shown for FreeBSD only and I guess, Solaris and other
BSDs  still use UFS. Are they more robust against this exploit or type
of exploit?
On the other hand, if these shown bugs aren't as serious as claimed be
the mentioned page, it sounds more like 'look, we also found on FreeBSD
something strange, not even on Linux'.

But it is good to know and be aware of.

Regards,
Oliver