FreeBSD 6.x, NIS, local root password, and nsswitch.conf

Michael Proto mike at jellydonut.org
Wed Nov 22 08:09:29 PST 2006

Mark Hennessy wrote:
> The machine in question having the problem with its root password being
> clobbered by NIS is an NIS Slave Server running FreeBSD 6.1, the other
> machines that aren't having this problem are clients running FreeBSD
> 4.11, and the NIS Master Server is running FreeBSD 6.1.
>
> The pam config for login and su don't appear to be pointing specifically
> to NIS for anything, just system.

What does /etc/passwd look like? I've seen this happen in our
environment when a +entry in /etc/password is above the equivalent user
account. Like if "+root..." or "+ at wheel" were above the default root
account.

Incidentally, my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this and does work
appropriately with NIS:

group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns