Fatal trap 12 - while installing nvidia-driver for FreeBSD 6.1

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Nov 19 12:17:23 PST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:45:28AM +0800, Nik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing kernel panic when try to install nvidia-driver in FreeBSD 6.1. It
> happen when nvidia kernel module loaded. This is a part of error message:
>
> Warning device driver
> Fatal Trap 12

FYI, it's rarely a good idea to only include part of an error message.
If the rest of the error message wasn't important then it wouldn't be
displayed to you.

> FYI, I'm still using generic kernel as will compile my own kernel with
> nvidia kernel module inside. But first I need to make sure that nvidia
> driver is installed in the system.

One typically sees panics when using a kernel module that is built
against a different set of kernel sources.  How did you obtain the
module?

Kris